Friday, May 1, 2015

A Case of Mommy Closet


What happened?! Had two babies, that's what.

It occurred to me recently that about 70% (or more) of my closet is un-wearable. This mama's style has been neglected for way too long, people. If you know me well, you know I'm not very fashion forward.

 Basically every item that fits me is blue. Like every. Single. Thing. Some of my clothes are maternity (yes, I am one of those moms who wears maternity clothes when her baby is 1 ½. Glad you can't see my red face right now :/ ). Some of my clothes are WAAAY too small (pre-baby), but I can't seem to get rid of them. I think, "Maybe someday in the unforeseen future I will magically lose 15-20 pounds and get my pre-baby body back." That's coming from the girl who dislikes almost every form of working out, with the exception of strolling outside or yoga (are those even considered exercise??). Finally facing the fact that I am in denial and that the Calvin Klein little-black-dress will never look the same, I needed a new plan.




 The other day I was perusing Facebook when I came across an article which had a link to un-fancy.com. WOW. Loved her closet solution immediately - it's called a capsule wardrobe. Simply put, this is a wardrobe made up of a smaller quantity of clothes with much higher quality. When creating this wardrobe, you only include pieces you absolutely adore and would wear any and every day. In her plan, she uses a general guide of 37 items per season - for example: 15 tops, 9 bottoms, 9 pairs of shoes, 2 jackets/coats, and 2 dresses. PJs, workout, and special occasion clothing don't count as part of the capsule. You can reconfigure the combination any way you want (I will probably do fewer pairs of shoes and more tops) to suit your needs.

 Read more about capsule wardrobes here.

 It's kind of nice starting my wardrobe (almost) from scratch ;)

 5 reasons to love the "capsule wardrobe" method:

1. It solves the "What do I wear?" dilemma. Since you love everything in your wardrobe, you won't be standing in front of a full closet and moaning, "I have nothing to wear!" It will take almost no effort to throw together an outfit that will look great. 

2. It simplifies life. Less laundry. Enough said.

3. It increases confidence. When you know everything in your closet fits well and flatters you, you always feel beautiful.

 4. It helps you discover your personal style. When you are limited on the amount of clothing you can purchase, you'll only buy things that scream "YOU." Chances are you will start to see a pattern in what you gravitate toward, learning more about your individual style. I see my style as simple, artsy, feminine, and vintage. But this may change the longer I practice this method.

5. It provides more money and time for things that matter. This method eliminates buyer's remorse, because each piece purchased will be thought-out and planned. It also gives you more time for family, friends, hobbies, and service because you will probably spend less time shopping and getting dressed!

 The challenge for me will be choosing pieces that compliment each other so I can create lots of different outfits with less. As my mama used to say, "Less is more." In my opinion, this type of wardrobe is awesome because can help foster contentment in our lives.

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” - Hebrews 13:5

Would you ever try a capsule wardrobe?

 Joy,

 Mary Page

No comments:

Post a Comment