Tuesday, April 28, 2015

We Don't Retreat, We Charge!


This past weekend I was privileged to chaperone some of the greatest kids on the planet. One perk of being a youth minister's wife is the opportunity to experience spiritually uplifting events like this one. When I was a teen in the youth group, I remember thinking I never wanted to stop being involved with youth events. How blessed I am to be able to continue in this ministry!


Also, this is one of the first times I have been able to be involved at an event without my kids. Although I missed them, it gave me a nice little break and an opportunity to connect with the youth on a deeper level. Huge thanks to Granny, Grandaddy, Auntie Brooke, and Uncle William for babysitting!


The Peachtree City Church of Christ spring youth retreat was held at Camp Inagehi in Douglasville, Georgia. Eighteen young people and four chaperones made up our group. The theme was "The Dead Fish" and came from Isaiah 35 where it talks about strengthening the weak hands. We also discussed how we reflect Christ to the world and how it looks when we are a "dead fish" where our faith is concerned.



Some highlights of the weekend for me:

Singing! I loved the new song my husband wrote, "The Rooster Crowed," which tells the story of Peter. "He Will Come and Save You" was another new song we learned which is based on Isaiah 35. Bonfire singing was epic.

Leaning. Hearing the opinions of the kids in the discussion groups was inspiring. I especially enjoyed the opportunity to walk the camp trails and talk with one of our girls for an hour. Listening to her desire for God and pure heart were just what I needed.

Life Hack Groups. There were 3 sessions during which we had discussion groups based on the theme. My favorite was the final one, which ended with each person finding a secluded spot to have  individual prayer time. A special memory which ended with this view.



Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees.  Say to those who have an anxious heart, "Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you."  Isaiah 35:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment